Organs in Spanish: terms, pronunciation and diseases
How could knowing the organs in Spanish help you? If you are dealing with Spanish-speaking patients you’ll find yourself more than once in a position where you will have to explain what is happening to them.
The patient comes to the office describing her/his symptoms, some relevant tests will be carried out and in the next consultation, we must explain him/her the results. It is in the latter part when knowing the organs in Spanish can help you to explain the patient clearly what it’s wrong with them, which illness they have.
In this post, I would like to show you the terminology of the body organs in Spanish, the pronunciation, an infographic and terminology related to each organ disease in Spanish.
Organs in Spanish: Terms and pronunciation
As I always say, knowing the vocabulary is as important as knowing the pronunciation.
That’s why I’ve created this interactive infographic in which you can practice with me the pronunciation of the organs in Spanish.
Comparative table of the body organs in Spanish
With this table I’d like to display the differences between the terms we use in Spanish to talk about the organs and the terms in English.
I personally love comparative tables because they help me to better memorize all the vocabulary. I hope it also helps you 😉
If you are a healthcare professional or interpreter, you might have found yourself in a situation where you have to tell your patient he or she has a disease.
It’s a difficult moment and appropriate words are needed.
When we have to deliver bad news, such as telling our patient he/she has a disease, it is important to know how this disease is called in our patient’s language. This will help our patient to better understand and to be more aware of his/her problem.
This is why I’d like to give you some of the most common diseases related to the organs in Spanish. This is a specific terminology you must know to communicate with patients who have Spanish as their mother tongue.
Internal organs diseases in Spanish
Below is a list with some of the most important internal organs in Spanish.
There are many more but here you have the organs diseases in Spanish I’ve considered more common.
Diseases of the stomach (estómago):
The “estómago” is an internal organ in Spanish which belongs to the “aparato digestivo” (digestive system). Some of the diseases of the stomach are:
- La gastritis (EN: Gastritis)
- La úlcera péptica (EN: Peptic ulcer)
- El cáncer gástrico (EN: Gastric cancer)
Liver diseases (hígado)
Just like the estómago, the hígado also belongs to the “aparato digestivo” and some of the diseases of this organ are:
- La hepatitis (EN: Hepatitis)
- La cirrosis hepática (EN: Liver cirrhosis)
- El cáncer de hígado (EN: Liver cancer)
Lungs diseases (pulmones)
“Los pulmones” are organs that belong to the “aparato respiratorio” (respiratory system). Some of the diseases of this organ are:
- La bronquitis (EN: Bronchitis)
- La neumonía (EN: Pneumonia)
- El efisema pulmonar (EN: Ephysema)
- La tuberculosis (EN: Tuberculosis)
Diseases of the following internal organ in Spanish: El páncreas
The “páncreas” is an exocrine and endocrine organ and the main diseases this can suffer are:
- El cáncer de páncreas (EN: Pancreas cancer)
- La fibrosis quística (EN: Cystic fibrosis)
Kidney diseases (riñón)
The kidney is an excretory organ and these are the main kidney diseases:
- Los cálculos renales (EN: Kidney stones)
- La nefropatía (EN: Nephropathy)
- La insuficiencia renal (EN: Kidney failure)
Heart diseases (corazón)
The corazón (heart) is an organ that belongs to the “aparato circulatorio” (circulatory system). There are many people who suffer from heart problems and the main diseases are:
- La cardiopatía isquémica (EN: Ischemic heart disease)
- Enfermedades del miocardio (EN: Myocardial disease)
- Enfermedades cardíacas congénitas (EN: Congenital heart disease)
Testicular diseases (testículos)
The “testículos” (testicles) are organs that belong to the “aparato reproductor masculino” (male reproductive system) and two of the testicular diseases that men can suffer from are the following ones:
- La criptorquidia (EN: Cryptorchidism)
- El cáncer de testículos (EN: Testicular cancer)
Ovarian diseases (ovarios)
The “ovarios” are organs that belong to the “aparato reproductor femenino” (feminine reproductive system). The most common ovarian diseases women suffer from are the following ones:
- La torsión ovárica (EN: Ovarian torsion)
- Los quistes ováricos (EN: Ovarian cysts)
- El cáncer de ovarios (EN: Ovarian cancer)
Brain diseases (cerebro)
The “cerebro” is an organ that belongs to the “sistema nervioso” (nervous system). So be careful! We are not talking here about mental illnesses but illnesses that affect the brain as a vital organ.
- Los tumores cerebrales (EN: Brain tumor)
- El Alzheimer (EN: Alzheimer)
- El derrame cerebral (EN: Stroke)
I hope this post about organs in Spanish has helped you to increase your vocabulary in Spanish and to know a little bit more about Medical Spanish. If you have any doubts, don’t hesitate to leave your comment below 🙂
Imagenes post: flaticon
Imagenes infografía interactiva: freepik